Friday, February 17, 2012

East Restaurant (東)

On Feb 4th, I went to eat lunch with my parents at the new (ish) restaurant East (16049 97st). I actually thought it was a Malaysian restaurant (something similar to Tropika) but on their site, it says that they are authentic modern Chinese with a Malaysian twist. Anyways... here are the pictures. (I used my cellphone, so sorry about the crappy pics, as my blog progresses, it'll probably get better! haha)

"Old Town" Chicken Satay 6 pieces - $12.95
This was pretty good! The chicken was a little bit dry but the peanut sauce was sooo good! I would definitely eat this again. I didn't care for the diced pineapples since they were kinda sour.. but the cucumbers were great to cut the spice of the peanut sauce.

Hainanese Chicken Rice - $11.95

I didn't actually try this, so sorry no review for this, but I thought the triangle shape was pretty cool!! I did try the soup and it wasn't too salty (like most Asian restaurants). My parents liked it though, since they finished the whole plate (which is pretty much indicative that they like it)

Curry Laksa - $9.95

This was my dish. I have been craving curry laksa for the LONGEST time and I haven't found a good place for it yet (other than at my friend's house.. LOL!!) and this ............ was good. It wasn't the best I've had in my life, but it's definitely a lot better than any restaurant in Edmonton. It had prawns, chicken, eggs, tofu, bean sprouts and......... BBQ PORK!?!?! Okay that part was ODD, and the pork was WAY too fatty that I didn't even try to eat it. I guess this is a Malaysian dish with a Chinese twist? Regardless, other than that BBQ pork, it was delicious! I would probably go order it again since it's pretty cheap and I actually had a bunch leftover, enough for Sunday lunch!

Penang Char Keuy Teow - $11.95
I forgot to take this picture before my parents dug into it! I was pretty full from my laksa by then but I still tasted some of it! It was sort of greasy and I was overpowered by the sauce it was cooked in. In this stir fry, there was pork sausage, egg, prawns, clam meat, bean sprout, xo sauce and soy sauce. The noodles were the thick, flat rice noodles. I probably wouldn't get this again, but my parents really liked it.

I also forgot to take picture of drinks... but they weren't really anything special. My dad and I shared a pot of ginger tea (I think it was $3.95 for a pot) which tasted okay to me. My parents also really liked it (is my palette Westernized?!?!) but to me, I didn't like it that much because it reminded me of the ginger syrup in tofu custard (豆腐花). My mom also got a white coffee cold. It legit tasted like watered down cappuccino... I can't recall the price but I think it was something like $3.95 as well.

In total, we spent about $60 with tips included (15%) so maybe I overestimated the price of the drinks. We also had most of the CharKeuyTeow leftover and half the Laksa. That pricing for a meal is decent to me.

Overall, I'd probably go back again, but only for my laksa craving. Oh, they also give you a frequent customer card. I believe it was if you ate 9 times there for lunch, you get the 10th one free (probably up to a certain value).. I think. I'm going to ask my parents about the card when they get home to confirm for you readers!

Okay, that is all! I hope you enjoyed reading this. This is something new I'm trying out, so if you guys have any suggestions on how I can make this better and more enjoyable, please leave me a comment!


No comments:

Post a Comment