Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Day 2

Greetings! :) This is my second day in Vietnam. I went to sleep around 10pm last night and woke up feeling like a million bucks AND hungry, only to find out it was only 1 am. FAIL! so I got up and started watching some Modern Family and played some angry birds. Finally got tired enough to fall back asleep and woke up at 7 am. Mulled around in bed bathing in the A/C while reading book 1 of The Game of Thrones series. Got up and went to the marketplace! Seriously it was bustling at 8-9am. LOL



This is the rice that my aunt sells in the marketplace. The way the currency converts is 100 CAD = 2 million VND.


This was some water area behind where my aunt sells rice. I'm not quite sure if it's a river or what, but my dad used to be a teacher here and he told me he would go on a ferry and cross this body of water to get to his job LOL.

So in the marketplace they have sections of produce, rice and fish. I took pics of the produce and fish one.



This is a pic of the lady cleaning the fish.

Live fish in the vats of water.. lol. I don't understand why it's so shallow but it makes all the fish swim sideways.

Some more in the marketplace

LOL head & shoulders marketing 

fresh sugar cane juice!

We also went to my dad's friends house which he just bought and was renovating. Their houses here aren't like ours at home, they're more like square houses with many floors. His had 4 floors. I didn't take a picture of it all but something really cool stood out to me....


The railings are done legit by hand!!! They just put the wood there and then they carve it with the machines they have. SO COOL.

Here's some fruits here. Got some apples, some type of fruit only found in Vietnam, rambutan, green oranges, apples, reg oranges, mangosteen, dragon eye & durian!! <3

We bought the durian. 

Here's a pic of it. 




Fresh durian! only $5 for a 6 kg fruit!!

SO GOOD. I only wish it was cold... haha but I think that's just the frozen-durian-eating girl in me. I guess I'm not used to the luxury of having fresh ones LOL I also got to eat something I love eating at home. Bun with nem nuong & cha gio!

you can take them home from the market in these cute baggies

only $1 CAD! I had 2 meatballs & 1 spring roll leftover cause I was full

The spring rolls had green bean & taro inside. No meat.
Drank some sugar cane juice :) Once it comes out of the machine they package it like we have our bubble tea! We had to ask them for no ice though and came home and added our own boiled water ice in it. It costed only 10 cents!!


For lunch today, we got to eat some Ca Loc or snakehead fish. It was very yummy! It didn't have that nasty seafood taste most fish has. My grandma, two other aunts and I ate it with rice and fish sauce but my mom and aunt ate it with rice paper and veggies. My dad had to eat congee with it because he wasn't feeling well.

This was my failed attempt at taking a panoramic shot of the view from the front of the house. Failed because you can see one place duplicated and because people were constantly moving (you know.. driving LOL) so it was all pretty shakey. 



This is all I've got for the day because I fell asleep (it's now day3 of my trip) and so I didn't get to eat dinner haha! 

OH PS. got 2 more bites on the top of my foot, one on my wrist, one on my right shoulder blade (in the back), one on my tricep and one on the side of my shoulder.

Anyhow thanks for reading!! :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow - I've really enjoyed reading your posts about your trip; the pics and descriptions are great! I've never been to Vietnam and it's a neat travel diary you're doing. Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! Thanks so much :) I'm glad you enjoyed reading it!

      Delete