Monday, July 23, 2012

Asia Trip 2012: July 21st (leaving day) & first day in Vietnam


So I have decided to blog about my Asia trip! I'm going to try and make a blog post everyday about my day. This way it'll be more accurate and it'll be more of a joy to re-read if it doesn't consist of “some stuff”. And I guess this is part of the "live" part of my blog title ! :)

Day 1 – July 21st.

Got up and did some last minute packing at home and then at 12pm, off we went to the airport (with my uncle driving us in another uncle's ghetto van). We arrived at the airport at 2pm, due to the one-lane reduction on the A. Henday, however the checking in with Westjet went really smooth so we were done in no time. I don't recall the woman who helped us' name, but she was totally awesome and kind, unlike others I've had prior. I finally got to check out RIM's Playbook! WOOHOO. For those of you who don't know me, I am an avid RIM/Blackberry fan. I hadn't had the chance to play with the Playbook because I rarely go to electronics stores and when I do, it's usually for movies LOL. I went into the store called iStore and I totally thought it would be an Apple products – only store. I was, however, mistaken and was so happy to see some Playbooks on display! I don't want to say much and sound uber fan girling on my blogposts about my trip but I will say that once I get back, I'm going to be buying one! Anyhow, we took the plane at 4pm and arrived at Vancouver at 4:30pm. Well, 4:30pm Van time (I can't recall which time zone it's in.. oops).
Here's our plane all happy in Edmonton.

It was a bit of a gong show as my mom's classmate from elementary was coming to pick us up (she lives in Victoria) and she accidentally went to the international part of the airport instead of the domestic side. A little bit of a mix up which cost us an hour of waiting. We then set off to meet up with the rest of their classmates. My mom's classmates from JHS/HS were going on an Alaskan cruise trip and had invited her along, however she already made plans to come back to Vietnam. It was by pure luck that the times matched up that they all arrived to Vancouver on the 21st. Her teacher also joined them. It was really interesting to see that my mom's classmates went to various places in the world: Australia, Canada, USA and Europe. Okay, I guess it's not very “various” since it's one of the bigger, more developed places in world. It's still pretty neat that after close to 40 years after they had class together, they still met up! Anyways we went to go eat at Richmond Sushi (unfortunately I was unable to snap pictures of it since I didn't bring my camera in with me). Holy crap it was expensive!! It's interesting because I know Vancouver & area are flooded with Japanese restaurants and yet the competition didn't drive the price down. It was an all-you-can-eat sushi place and cost $32.95(not quite positive about the cents) + HST! For me, coming from Edmonton where we only have the GST, it was quite a big price to pay. The sashimi pieces were quite large and very tasty. You could definitely tell it was fresh. It was also my first time trying geoduck (pronounced goo-ey duck)! I always watch it on Food Network and wondered what it was like. It does have a slight “seafood” flavour to it, however I really enjoyed the texture of it; it had a little bit of crunch. Afterwards, we went to buy me a sweater from RCSS because I'm so smart and decided that it would be super hot in Vancouver and the other places I would be going to so I wouldn't need a sweater. WRONG. It was pretty chilly at night and of course the airplane is ALWAYS air-conditioned. We then visited my mom's Victoria classmates family. Her sister went to school with my aunt and her brother went to school with my other aunt (when they were all in Vietnam). Finally, we were back at the airport to wait for our 2am flight to Taipei! Didn't do much but sit there and charge my iPod touch & Blackberry as well as talk to the BF. We got onto our China Airlines flight and off we went!
Here's our plane.


The flight was 11 hours and 20 minutes. I honestly felt SO smart on this flight LOL. What happened was I sat in between my parents in the middle section and I had an armrest on either side of me; there was also a second armrest next to the armrest on my right side. What I did for an awesometastic-make-shift-bed was I lifted up one of them to give myself more room and then I curled up into a ball and fit perfectly in the spot. I slept like a baby with my seat reclined and my whole body comfortably snug into my spot. Beautiful. I also re-watched parts of The Hunger Games before I fell asleep (still pretty bad the second time around lol), finally watched Tangled!!! (SO CUTE), watched an ep of BBT. That's all I got since I was sleeping most of the time! As for food, we were given dinner and breakfast. For dinner, it was a pick between chicken & potatoes or pork & rice. I picked the chicken and potatoes. NOT GOOD. LOL Here is the pic of the meal:


Here is the pic of just the chicken and potatoes and veggies (sorry the pic is blurry):


The chicken was not crispy but soft and it had dark meat which I hate. The potatoes were cooked well but didn't have much flavour. The veggies were just soggy. I forget what was on top of the chicken but it wasn't a saving grace. For sides, we had a dense bread roll (ew) and potato salad with a slice of salmon on top with some dill.



The salmon wasn't even good. It just tasted slimey. Absolutely nothing like what I had at Richmond sushi! Best part of this meal was the dessert: a mango mousse cake!


Had a little bit of cake on the bottom, mostly mousse. SO YUMMY. Reminded me of the Save On Food's mango mousse.

For breakfast, you could choose between a western breakfast or congee. I opted for the western one. Here's a picture of it:


It had a cheese omelette, some spinach, a sausage as well as a hashbrown. For sides, we had yogurt (I scored the raspberry flavour!), some fresh fruit and a sweet bun. The sausage was well overcooked; one could actually SEE the dryness inside. Hashbrown, not crispy at all. Spinach was soggy but eh I like spinach so no biggie. Omlette was decent IMO (although I don't eat eggs much), but I added way too much salt to it! The sweet bun was alright but I found the inside a bit dense too. I like fluffier buns.

My mom ate the seafood congee.


It came with the sweet bun, fruits and some type of toppings that typically go into congee. I have no idea what they are because I usually don't add much to my congee other than some green onion and crispy wonton strips. I tried my mom's congee and it has absolutely NO seasoning at all. I'm sure it tasted better with the salt and pepper my mom added after. I'm not THAT big of a fan of shrimp so it's a good thing I passed since there was so much of it LOL.

The flight was actually alright. Not TOO much turbulence. TBH though, I've slept through all of the storms we've had in Edmonton for the past 2 weeks so I honestly think it takes a lot to wake me. The landing was quite good too! Thanks pilot :) Oh since we were going overseas we technically went forward in time so by now it's the 23rd.

When we got to Taipei, we only had about 40 minutes to shop! I saw a Hello Kitty store! SO CUTE.

I'm not the biggest fan of HK but every time I see HK stuff, the Asian in me is triggered and I get all giddy. I didn't buy anything though. My friend Kerry told me to go to 7-11 and grab a milk tea, unfortunately I had no time. I kinda thought there would've been a 7-11 in the airport like Hong Kong did but nope.


Here's a pic of our flight to Vietnam.


Bye Taipei!


The flight was only 3 hours long so I watched Wipeout and Salmon Fishing in the Yemen! I've always wanted to watch that movie and I finally got the chance to. Unfortunately, we landed before I could finish it. I swear there was probably only 5 minutes left in the movie!! Sad. Anyhow the food we had on this flight (it was our “lunch”)...... BEST MEAL EVER. LOL. Maybe because the past ones were shitty or I don't know. But I totally finished this WHOLE thing. You could pick between Chinese noodles or western. Since western was total fail last flight, I had to get the noodles. Holy mackeral, was it delicious!
Here's the pic:


I think the meat was chicken (my mom thinks it's pork) but I can't even really explain the sauce. If you guys have ever had thit kho, it's a pretty similar taste. YUM. Had some Chinese vegs and an egg! I thought it was a mushroom at first and got all excited (I love mushrooms). Still good! The bun was another sweet bun but this time the texture reminded me of the buns you can buy at the Chinese bakeries. SO GOOD. Had a fruit salad, this time it was the canned Delmonte ones that they just put into the container. TBH I hate having the fresh fruit ones all mixed up because the flavours all mix weird, however in these artificially preserved ones, it all tastes the same until you actually bite into it. That's what I prefer. I do like fresh fruit more than preserved but not if you mix it all up together. We also got orange juice in this. Tasted like Minute Maid. Don't like that but whatever, it was such a good meal I just sucked it up and finished it!

Oh look! Here's a view of Ho Chi Minh city!



This is the kickass taxi van things that took me to my grandma's house out in the country side.



BOOHOO. After riding the long ass plane rides there, another 4-6 hours to my grams! I asked my parents about this and they said it's because the speed limit on the road we take is about 50 – 60 km an hour. There is a road that you can drive 100 k/h on but you have to pay a toll to use it, so most people don't and suck it up for the long ride. My parents told me the distance from the airport to my grandma's is equivalent to half the distance between Calgary and Edmonton. It took us extra long this time around cause we went on the ferry to cross the water lol. I recall before there was a bridge that was quicker but for some reason this driver did not go that way LOL. Anyways they also have a BK at their airport which I didn't see the last time I was here (2 years ago).


Motorcyclists.


This was really neat; they have a countdown for how long the light will stay red and how long the light will stay green. Very informative and cool! We should get these Edmonton ;)


Picture of rice fields.


I also saw many coconut, papaya, banana and mango trees, as well as some lotus flowers, but I couldn't take a picture of them cause the scene was changing so quickly. Lol I just noticed coconut, papaya and banana have repeating syllables.


FIRST MEAL HERE WHEN I GOT TO MY GRAMS

PHO TAI.


DELISH. So good. Delivered straight to her house. This bowl made me full. It's not as big as we have it at home but for $1.50 CAD I ain't complaining! The noodles are FRESH, super tender and just melts in your mouth. So so good. I can't wait to eat some more.


Oh and I got me some 7-up since I can't drink their water here hahaha. And cause I'm a princess and likes drinking Dasani bottled only.



OH PS. I saw a big ass cockroach in the shower area. COOL. It was bigger than my thumb. Didn't get a chance to snap a pic though. As of end of day 1 I have one mosquito bite right by my big toe knuckle which is where my flipflop strap hits :(


That's all for day one and two! Stay tuned for the next 24 days for my travels in Asia.  

No comments:

Post a Comment