Sunday, August 12, 2012

Day 20

WOW The days are going by so quickly!! It's day 20 already :P

Let's get to it!

So woke up today and our hotel doesn't have breakfast.. LOL but no worries went to a place nearby (on the tour agency of course).
banh canh ca (chicken) for me!

banh canh hai san (seafood) for everyone else LOL

cafe sua da for me and my parents and cafe da for my aunt & cousin (which I didn't take a picture of)

It was actually pretty good! The noodles aren't what I'm used to from home (I usually eat it chewier) but maybe this is what the legit noodles are supposed to taste like LOL! I'm not sure how much the total was but I know for each bowl it was about $1.50.

After we went to this place that made wine out of myrtle berries. What are myrtle berries? I honestly have no idea what they are  ... well I do but not. I saw them


I tried it... sort of. LOL I took a bite of it and the taste was ... like bitter and tart .. It left a dryness on my tongue similar to the tannins in red wine. Yeah I spit it out right away LOLOL. So I can't really tell you what it was or anything :P and Google isn't much help for once!!

Anyways the wine is made in these vessels... we didn't buy any of the wine (which was QUITE strong for wine....). How is it that a wine can be 39 % alcohol? With such a percentage, it's so close to hard liquor it should be consider as such no? We ended up buying 2 bottles of myrtle honey. I have no idea what it's used for or if it has any health properties but they did let us sample it and it was just a sweet tasting liquid with a slight tinge of alcohol taste. If you've ever had com ruou , that's what it tasted like :P



Then we went to a pearl place because they are also famous for pearls, or at least recently they are.

We got to watch them open up the mollusk (using this term because I don't know what they are... clams? I'm so bad with these LOL) and take out a pearl!



a diagram of it. I think it's a clam. I don't know.. hahah


 So my mom ended up buying a pearl necklace and bracelet set for about $200 and for every $50 spent, you get to pick an oyster (suddenly popped in my head this could be an oyster.. LOL) and they'll take out the pearl for you to take home! We got 4 pearls. It took a while cause some of them had no pearls inside.

see the 2 that are similar in size? I'm hoping I can make them into earrings!!

After the pearl farm, we went to the Phu Quoc Prison! I had no idea such a beautiful place had such a horrible thing. It's actually real interesting history that my dad told me about since he was alive at the time and living here. But it's crazy because the stuff in there is heavily propaganda against capitalism lol



It was pretty creepy walking around there knowing that thousands of people have died there. Nonetheless I love learning about history and going to the actual places makes it even better!!

Next we went to a place that I didn't take a picture of cause it wasn't anything special. They just sold swallow's nests, dried shrimp and such. We ended up buying some dried abalone, some shredded dried fish and some other fish thing LOL I'm not really sure what they are but they're yummy :)

FINALLY we get to the beach! I don't know WHICH part of the island this is or what because the driver just drove us here. All good, I'm sure it's gorgeous everywhere!

We also rented a kajak LOL. I think it was $7.50 to do so, not sure how long we were supposed to have it for but I didn't need much time with it anyway. :P It was so hard to paddle!! LOL But  every one of us had our turn so it was all good. 

me and my cousin . I look so butch in this LOL

us with my mom and aunt (not her mom)

my parents LOL!!!!!!

moi :) The water is so pretty and the sand too!!! Also this is the death of me because I have no sunscreen on =\ ARGHS. massive sunburn lines from this bikini top LOL

my aunt with my dad LOL

So at 12 we took a break to eat lunch at the place right on shore.

ugh once again photo isn't rotating -__-"

a salad. no dressing. it tasted bitter to me lol

yum scallops!! <3

fish , not bad

squid! LOL I was kind of scared to eat it after reading the story of the lady who had squid sperm in her mouth......... I found some had egg sacks in them so I gave all them to my mom LOL. I was scared.

soup! I didn't mind it but I prefer the hot and sour soups more

I was craving ice cream and WTF, they have an ice cream freezer there and I asked for some and the guy said they were busy and that they would bring it to my sitting area (on the beach) when they were free. Okay. Waited for a while, nothing. Went back again, and he said they're still busy so.. okay. Then I went to go swimming. An ice cream bike (cause you know they don't have ice cream trucks LOL) came!! YAY

taro!

SO delicious. then I went back out to swim. Came back in around 2 ish and napped until 330. At that point it was so dead in the restaurant so my mom went to ask again for ice cream LOL and they said they weren't selling it today!! WTF. I want to give you my money and you obviously have the containers there........ seriously. I don't understand their business plan. LOL

Next we went to a marketplace which was like WHOA.

wtf right? LOL

fruits!

sting rays

some sort of seafod. LOL they were so big

HUGE LOBSTER SHRIMP THING LOL I don't know what it is!!! but it's humongous! 

a boat ... full of fish. This whole mound is fish.

We went to a temple that overlooked the ocean. So pretty!






sun setting pic ;)

We went to eat dinner at the same place as yesterday.

bok choy was yummy ;D

fish was okay

pork balls and watercress soup - delish!!

thit kho and shrimp. eh lol too much fat and too chewy.

dragonfruit - so yummy and sweeeeeet

Considering how little this was, we didn't even finish it all! (2 of everything but the soup and dessert). We went back to the hotel afterwards and relaxed a bit then we headed to the night market again. This time for the food!

sea urchin! 4 for $2.00

I've never tried sea urchin before but I've seen it on a lot of Food Network shows and on shows like Masterchef. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to what I thought it would taste like. Perhaps it's because it was grilled? The innards I've seen on TV are usually a bright orange colour but the one we had here was a grey colour :( The taste wasn't anything special really, but I thought it would've tasted similar to what you can find inside a crab's shell. Oh well I wanted to try it out and see how it was anyway. I think I'd try it again... if it was orange LOL. Maybe there are different types of sea urchin?? 

2 slices of butter and onion toast. $1.00 for both

I actually thought this was garlic bread :( so I was pretty disappointed when I took a bite and it wasn't!! everyone else really liked it though (I find that stuff like butter is kind of a special thing here, like they don't eat it very often). Once we finished both slices, we wanted more but they were sold out!! (it was only 8pm ish too!!) I figured as much anyway cause when we were ordering, I saw a guy order about 20 slices to take home. LOL

tiger beer. we got 2 bottles. $1.60 for 2 bottles

Seriously . SO CHEAP HERE.

12 scallops - $2.50 :P

This wasn't bad but it's not what I'm used to. Usually with the scallops I eat (frozen of course LOL) there's only the white part but none of the organs attached to it. It was pretty good ! :D and cheap.

1 kg of cockles - $6

delicious as always :P

omfg look how lobster I look :( :(

Gotta love fresh seafood!! 


That concludes day 20 ladies and gents

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment